Friday 26 October 2012

We do it to ourselves...

So, I had a very "interesting"  week this week...my mother discovered that she had bladder cancer and had 2 tumours surgically removed on Monday. What I find interesting is that the Urologist says that this is very common in smokers yet very there is very little publicity for bladder cancer. We all know that smoking increases the risk of lung cancer, but bladder cancer??? 

Thankfully this story has a happy ending because the tumours were still very small and my mom stopped smoking in January this year, which hopefully means that that the risk of recurrence should diminish. Not to say that she is all clear though - the doc has recommended scopes frequently over the next 2 years. 

My matric final prepared speech was titled "We are our own worst enemies" and I believe it! Why on earth would humans create such an awful habit like smoking, which has literally no benefit to our bodies or our environment???? Just makes no sense to me. Anyway, we could debate that until I am old and grey!

So, this has been a week full of turmoil and emotion and because I took 2 days to spend with my mom, I am behind on my writing :-( So I had better get back to my articles now. Fortunately I can work in the evenings and weekends to catch up when necessary. Love that my job at Ipcoweb provides this flexibility!!!

Have a super weekend everyone!

Cheers for now...

1 comment:

  1. Hi,

    I have a quick question about your blog, would you mind emailing me when you get a chance?

    Thanks,

    Cameron

    cameronvsj(at)gmail.com

    ReplyDelete